Friday, July 31, 2015

An Experiment

I have decided, that after 8 years of being glued to the computer screen/my phone/ipad, that I am taking a break from social media.

Recently, within the past year, there have been many mass riots happening via social media. People I once respected show how little they will fall just to have their opinion smashed into the faces of their "friends". I find that, most of those friends I have on facebook, are no longer friends. In fact, I am friends with people who actually despise me. Keep your enemies closer, am-I-right?


Now, don't get me wrong. I understand why people are upset about things or excited about other things, but Facebook/twitter/instagram/whatever else there is out there, isn't where I care to hear about them. When I see hundreds of the same people posting about the same thing, all I wonder is how I managed to escape that crazy train of conformity.

I know what is happening in the world. I read the news, I am aware of the world around me. I do not need to hear how YOU feel unless we are in a face to face conversation about said thing.

Also, what do you hope to accomplish with all of your berating?  I don't see anyone ACTUALLY doing anything about what they are so mad at. All that does is open up a floodgate of feedback that just makes you mad and them mad and then everyone is mad.



So, after about 3 months of hating a lot of people I once loved, I have decided to take a break. A break from all the hate and the blatant disregard of human interaction. Of people assuming the worst in others by what is written and not what was said. I don't know how long this hideous will last. I, like most, have had a very strict schedule to uphold to facebook. We have been seeing each other for about 20 times a day for 8 years. I can only imagine the things I will be able to accomplish without this distraction in front of me; the books I have been putting off, the scripts I have been meaning to read, the monologues I have been wanting to memorize. You would think that I would still be able to do these even WITH facebook lurking around, and, you may be right. But there have been times where I will knowingly choose to look at status updates for hours on end just to get out of doing other things: other things that could help me further my career and become someone that I like. 




So, without further adieu, the list:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter (I don't actually have one anyway)
  • Instagram (but I still may take pictures...)
The deadly 3. I will try as hard as I can to stay away from these 3 social media sites for as long as I can. And, I have to tell you, I already feel this weight being lifted off my shoulders and the ever occurring anxiety I feel when I go on said sites. I will update as I go so all of my zero followers will know how I am doing (could get interesting). 



WISH ME LUCK!!



No comments:

Post a Comment