Saturday, January 18, 2014

That One Time I Got A Tonsillectomy

So I am currently on day 3 of my recovery from my tonsillectomy. I am 22 and, let me tell you, it isn't as bad as the internet tells you it is. Who knew the internet could lie to you?

Any way, I have been lying in bed eating pudding, popsicles and drinking all the water I can manage to swallow (which is not as much as I would like)

So this is for all of you 20-somethings hoping to take the leap into an emptier throat.






Day of SuRgErY (it's supposed to look spooky?):

First off, my friend, don't freak out. It is a super simple procedure that takes 25 minutes, tops. If you go somewhere that is known for doing mostly tonsillectomy's, you should have no problems. They put specific narcotics in your IV to 1.) knock you out and 2.) prevent you from vomiting all over the place from the anesthesia.

Second, have food ready and waiting in your fridge. Pudding, Jell-O, popsicles, gatorade, water, etc. Stay away from citrus drinks and food because the acidity will stab at your throat like a man shanking you in a prison courtyard; it's not pleasant.

The other days (so far):

  • you will drool an odd amount. I noticed this just recently but every time I wanted to take a nap it was like I hadn't swallowed in years and all of my saliva would run out of my mouth without my consent. Although, it was between that and swallowing it and I just didn't want to deal with that pain. Yes, it hurts to swallow, but if you take your pain meds as directed by your doctor than it's only a mild pain.







  • It will hurt to swallow but you have to power through it. If you don't get liquids (mostly water) in you, bad things will happen. BAD THINGS! Just, don't do it. Good thing there is pain medication!
  • If you want to eat some solid food day 1, then do it. As long as it isn't something spicy, pokey, scratchy or too hot of a tempurature. I had a cold pasta noodles (Suddenly Salad, Classic) for 2 days and it was beautiful. The noodles are so small you can just swallow them whole, no need to chew (which also can be a bit tricky)
  • You may hear people say "Don't sleep!" but I don't listen to those people because I love to sleep. And so I did and do! I usually like to nap right after I take the pain medication. Because 1.) it sort of calms your entire body down and makes you relaxed and 2.) it numbs he throat a bit so you don't have to worry about painful swallowing. And VIOLA, you are out like a light...for about 4 hours until the pain medication wears off. But that's okay because it just so happens you can take it every 4 hours so you just take it again and go back to sleep. It is a beautifully vicious cycle. <-- This is what my meds say. Do as yours say. Not as I say.

That's all I really have for you so far. Like I said, I am only 3 days in...

HANG IN THERE EMPTY THROATERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment