Sunday, September 8, 2013

In Other News...

I would like to start off this post by saying I have fallen victim to everything I am about to say. I was once someone who went through life without caring, at all, about this. But I have seen the light and changed my ways and now, I see the world through a new lens.



I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE WORLD

It all started one morning. It was a cool summer morn' and I was walking towards my Geography class at 9am. After sitting in the theatre-like seats with the tiniest of desk tops located ever so sneakily on the side of the chair so I can swing it up and place it in front of me (we all know what I am talking about. I don't think I need a picture), my professor informed us that we would NOT be talking about what he had planned. We would, however, be talking about what is going on in the world. 

Well, I had to qualms to this. I was interested as to what was happening in the world. Little did I know that I actually knew very little. Because then everyone started talking about Syria and the chemical weapons they used on their own people. 

My mind was racing. How did I not know about this? Did I live under a rock? What the hell is sarin gas? 

Did you think of this? This is Sauron. Not the same thing.
And that was it. It took me feeling like one of the dumbest people in the room to realize that I did not want to be that person. I want to know what is going on in the world and I want to be able to discuss the ideas I have about them with other people. I WANT TO BE INFORMED!

So I began searching for papers, news sights, articles, etc. Some of them I happen to enjoy (New York Times, skim that) and some of them I did not (Fox news). 

I began reading up on what was happening in the world and realizing the more I read, the less I actually knew what was happening outside my own life. This generation, my generation, finds themselves living in this fantasy world of technology and social networks where the only bad thing that could happen, is having someone un-friend them.

But, I can't fully blame the people for not caring, when we have a media that chooses to do something like this:


It almost seems like this country doesn't want us to know what is happening in other parts of the world. Sometimes, living in this country feels like you're living on a island with prison bars around you. 

But you can change that; you can take it upon yourself to look past the insignificant news articles about someone on Craigslist selling positive birth control tests and become educated! See what is happening in other corners of the planet than your own and finally grasp the idea that this world is a lot bigger than one country.

No comments:

Post a Comment